How did you learn about Coursera? | Coursera Community
Coursera Header

How did you learn about Coursera?


Userlevel 5
Badge +6
This is a 5-second poll! I'm curious to know how you first learned about Coursera. To elaborate on your answer, please reply to this post.

How did you first learn about Coursera?

11 replies

What a fun idea, @Laura !
My son created a few courses here. I wanted to see what he was teaching so I signed up for them. It was so exciting to be a part of this. Back then he would do “office hours” a video about what people had been discussing and would choose the best examples. He would also refer to a few excellent assignments too. It meant so much to me to have my name mentioned!
It was also a family involvement as my younger son had written and played the opening/closing music for the courses.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I tried to make virtual school website in 2004 and didn't completed ... when I searched later for the subject I found coursera 🙂
I like your poll too @Laura . My husband’s brother and his wife discovered Coursera for us when they were trying to find the best information about vaccines for their new born baby some years ago. They ended up taking the courses available on vaccines on Coursera at that time and loved them. So, they spread the joy to the rest of the family and friends. 🙂
I was actually searching for an article on designing questionnaires. A Coursera course name was included on the search result page. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, signed up, and became a Courserian in 2014 thanks to Google.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I read about Massive open Online courses round about 2 years ago. After a time with research about the Mooc-Concept, i become a member of Coursera in beginning of 2017 (maybe a bit late), and started my first course at in December 2017.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I google searched a course of interest and I found it. While clicking on it to read more, it led me to registering for coursera and that was it! I got stuck!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Maryam wrote:

I was actually searching for an article on designing questionnaires. A Coursera course name was included on the search result page. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, signed up, and became a Courserian in 2014 thanks to Google.


I like the coinage “couserian”. Thanks!
Badge
I was looking for courses to learn about my favourite subject without having to commit to a university course with The Open University. This took me to FutureLearn and someone there recommended a course on Coursera and that they thought it might match my interests. It did and now I use both platforms, depending on what I'm looking for.
HOT wrote:


Maryam wrote:

I was actually searching for an article on designing questionnaires. A Coursera course name was included on the search result page. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, signed up, and became a Courserian in 2014 thanks to Google.

I like the coinage “couserian”. Thanks!



Hi @HOT,
I also like this word, but I did not coin it. Once I joined Coursera, I received an email on which this word was used. I kept that welcome email. Here is a section of that:

We are thrilled that you have joined us! Congratulations, you are now a Courserian.
Cheers,
Daphne, Andrew, and your Coursera Team.



Does anyone know if they still use this word (Courserian) on emails that are being sent for welcoming new learners? 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Maryam wrote:


HOT wrote:


Maryam wrote:

I was actually searching for an article on designing questionnaires. A Coursera course name was included on the search result page. Out of curiosity, I clicked the link, signed up, and became a Courserian in 2014 thanks to Google.

I like the coinage “couserian”. Thanks!

Hi @HOT,
I also like this word, but I did not coin it. Once I joined Coursera, I received an email on which this word was used. I kept that welcome email. Here is a section of that:


We are thrilled that you have joined us! Congratulations, you are now a Courserian.
Cheers,
Daphne, Andrew, and your Coursera Team.

Does anyone know if they still use this word (Courserian) on emails that are being sent for welcoming new learners? :)


If they still do or did when I joined, I never noticed.
Badge +1
Back in May of 2018, I completed the course "Writing in the Sciences", produced by Stanford University. I found this course by searching online for a writing class that I could take remotely; I found it first on Coursera, and also on Stanford's website. But since I found it first on Coursera, I decided to take it here.

This is one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. This course helped me realize that my writing skills were not as far off as I had thought; but still a work in progress. This course also helped me realize that there are many doors in philosophy, the sciences, and writing that are open to me.

I thought this course would help my to-do-list get smaller, but it keeps getting bigger; because I am realizing what I can do, it makes me want to do more.

Coursera has played a part in the expansion of the realization of what I am actually capable of. Thank you!

Reply

    Cookie policy

    We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept or continue browsing you agree to our cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

    Accept cookies Cookie settings